At The Studio at Fenton Family Dental, our focus is on the performance of surgical procedures—including the placement of dental implants. Our team is capable of placing, restoring, and maintaining your dental implants. Whether you’re looking to replace a single missing tooth or an entire arch of teeth, we have the experience and expertise to provide you with the best possible results.
Below, we’ll explore the process of getting dental implants in Clinton, MD, and the benefits they can provide. If you have any questions, contact our office today!
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that are surgically placed in the jawbone to replace the natural root structure of a missing tooth. The implant acts as an anchor to hold restorations—such as crowns, bridges, or full arch prosthetics, in place. This procedure is performed in order to restore the function and aesthetics of the smile.
The entire dental implant is made up of three components: the implant post, the abutment, and the restoration.
- The implant post is made from titanium and is placed into the jawbone to act as the root of the implant.
- The abutment is then attached to the post and serves as a connector between the post and the restoration.
- The restoration is the visible portion of the implant and is custom-made to look, feel, and function just as a natural tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants provide a secure, long-lasting solution to tooth loss and are an increasingly popular choice for many patients. This is due to a wide range of advantages that dental implants offer over other forms of restoration, such as:
- Improved oral health: Dental implants do not require any alteration to the surrounding teeth and can help preserve the jawbone and prevent further tooth loss. This is because the implant post stimulates the jawbone, providing the contact that it needs to remain healthy and strong.
- Enhanced aesthetics: Since the restoration is made to look and feel just like a natural tooth, dental implants can provide a beautiful, seamless smile. Not to mention, the secure attachment offered by the implant post ensures that the restoration won’t slip or shift in your mouth.
- Durability: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime and are built to withstand normal eating and speaking.
- Comfort & ease of care: Dental implants are made to feel just like a natural tooth, making them the most comfortable option for replacing missing teeth. In fact, the natural disposition of the implant overall helps to make cleaning and caring for your teeth much easier; simply brush, floss, and rinse as you normally would! There are no extra steps to maintaining a dental implant.